SAVE ENERGY, SAVE MONEY, LIGHT BETTER and BRIGHTER, LOWER MERCURY POLLUTION (when power utility is coal-based)
3 Steps to REALLY making a green difference - join the campaign!!
1. Pledge the number of old-fashioned bulbs you are going to replace with energy-saving, efficient CFLs, in your home or office. Use the My Pledge box alongside to do this!
2. Actually replace the bulbs you pledge to.
3. Come back and let the world know! (Use the I Did It! box below)
Your adoption of CFLs and using the I Did It! box, will provide measurable data of the amount of carbon savings we have collectively made. And proof of a REAL difference we've made to halt climate change! You can check above for the status of the campaign, in CFLs installed!
Change 1 incandescent bulb to CFL today!
1. CFLs present an opportunity to prevent mercury emissions from entering the environment because they help to reduce emissions from coal-fired power plants. A coal-fired power plant will emit 13.6 milligrams of mercury to produce electricity required to use an incandescent light bulb, compared to 3.3 milligrams for a CFL.
2. While a regular (incandescent) light bulb uses heat to produce light, a fluorescent bulb creates light using an entirely different method that is far more energy-efficient — in fact, 4-6 times more efficient. This means that you can buy a 15-watt compact fluorescent bulb that produces the same amount of light as a 60-watt regular incandescent bulb.
3. CFLs, when compared with standard incandescent bulbs, offer many benefits. First, they help save energy and money. They use 2/3 less energy than standard incandescent light bulbs, and last up to 10 times longer. Replacing a 60-watt incandescent with a 13-watt CFL can save you at least Rs. 900/- ($30 aprox) in energy costs over the life of the bulb. Second, CFLs offer convenience, because they last longer, and come in different sizes and shapes to fit almost any fixture. In addition, CFLs produce about 70% less heat than standard incandescent bulbs, so they're safer to operate and can help cut energy costs associated with home cooling. When shopping, always look for ENERGY STAR or BEE qualified CFLs.