What is a "Green Alternative"?
A ‘Green alternative’, is an environmentally-friendly substitute for anything. For example, using a brown paper bag to carry groceries, instead of a non-biodegradable plastic packet, would be using a Green alternative. Given the grave condition of our atmosphere, we need as many Green alternatives as we can get. Today we have quite a few green alternatives. We have an eco-friendly substitute for cars that run on fuel. Cars that run on electricity, such as the Reva and Telsa Roadster are ideal Green alternatives. Other Green alternatives would entail wind energy, solar energy, hydro energy, electric energy which are all better options than thermal energy which gives out carbon dioxide.
What do you need to know?
An increase in the usage of Green alternatives would help bring down the level of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere giving the ozone layer the time it needs to heal itself. These substitutes could be the saving grace of the planet.
What can you do?
Increasing the usage of Green alternatives, would give the planet a fighting chance. It would take one person to bring eco-friendly substitutes into fashion, and start a trend – or a mission.
Some green products
• Electric cars – Telsa Roadster ; Reva
• Energy-Efficient Room Air Conditioner - LG LWHD1500ER
• Liquid Organic Cleaner – Amway
• Electric scooters / bikes – Hero Honda Velocity ; Avon eScoot ; Yo Bikes etc.
• “The Green Alternative: Creating An Alternative Future” by Brian Tokar, published by New Society Publishers.
• “Building Green: A Complete How-To Guide to Alternative Building Methods: Earth Plaster, Straw Bale, Cordwood, Cob, Living Roofs” by Clarke Snell, published by Lark Books (NC)
See & Hear
• “The Age of Stupid”- Franny Armstrong.
On the Web
• What are alternative fuels?
Alternative fuels are substantially non-petroleum based fuels and include the following: Ethanol; LPG (Propane); Biodiesel; Electricity;Hydrogen; and P-series fuels. These fuels generally are environmentally preferable to petroleum-based fuels such as gasoline and diesel fuel.
• How can one tell if a product is environmentally friendly?
Products that have been passed as environmentally friendly by the Environmental Protection Agency, bear ‘Energy Star” stickers on them. These stickers are a sign that the product is energy efficient. Other organisations also issue such certification after testing products.